Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garage Opener works sporadically

Posted by Dottie373 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 21:13

I have a 17-yr old Craftsman opener, model #139.53627SRT. The remote works in the garage, but won't close the door from just outside in the driveway when I leave. However, it always opens the door from the street when I return. Key pad on outside works sporadically...usually not when car remote doesn't work. Hard-wired touch pad inside by house entry always works. Nothing is blocking sensors. Occasionally the remote will work for a day, then not for weeks. All batteries have been replaced. My repairman wants to replace the sensor eyes and their wires, but another says it's the receiver board. Before I buy one online (I need to save the $$$), I need to know what the problem is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Opener works sporadically

The sensor eyes only work when the door is closing. They will not prevent the door from opening. Your problem sounds like a bad receiver but you need to check the price. Putting that much money into a 17 year old opener is not a good idea.

o

Don, thanks for your reply. My car remote always opens the garage door, but won't close it. Same for my remote keypad just outside of door. But hard-wired button at inside door always opens and closes door. Does this indicate bad receiver board or sensors?
[I can't afford a new opener, but I can repair for $30(sensors) to $60 (board), depending on what part I need.]

o

This is a little different. If the main light flashes 10 times when the door reverses to the open position it is a door sensor problem. Make sure they are pointed at one another and the small light on each one is lit and not flickering. Tweak them a little. If you cannot get both lights to come on you have bad sensors. Just remember they must be pointed at one another for both lights to come on.

o

Sorry, Don, but I'm a little confused. Both little green lights on the two sensors mounted on 2 rails near garage floor are lit green, and seem to work, reversing decending door when the site line is broken. When door is coming down, but I then block the sensors, door goes back up and main light flashes 10 times. But I cannot get my remote to close the door even when there is NO blockage. So do you think I need new sensors or new sensor wiring, as was also suggested to me? But not a new receiver board? (I assume if the remote will always open the door, then the battery in it is still good, right?)

o

The sensors are working as they should. I have been confused also. I think at this point it is the receiver which is part of the logic board. The part number for the logic board is on the end of the opener where all the white wires go. It starts with 41A. You can get that number and check with Sears parts for the price. It may be that you will want to replace the entire opener due to the cost of the part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here