Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone built a garage with apartment over?

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 20:13

Hi we want to build a garage with apartment over it for extra income (or if our zoning doesn't change, maybe my dh and I will make it our master suite and rent out our upstairs, lol.)
Dh is considering using sips (structural insulated panels). Has any one used them? How did you decide on your design, or where did you get plans?
By the way, current 2car garage has fallen off the foundations which were faulty, but the structure (built on site in the 1920s) is so well made that it refuses to fall down. Brand new buildings collapsed all over our state a few winters ago due to heavy snow and ice but our tipsy garage didn't budge. It would be nice to have a new one that sturdy, but with proper foundations this time.
tia
kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone built a garage with apartment over?

you can get plans online.. they come with all the drawings you need a material lists.. does your city allow you to build the garage that high? i couldnt pull that off in my city..

o
RE: Anyone built a garage with apartment over?

There are height restrictions, but 2 story would be ok. Our larger problem is that current zoning would require it to be attached to the house if we want an apartment in it. I realize that most people seem to want their garages attached, but I'd rather not cut my yard in half. Plus I like the idea of a nice little freestanding building, kind of like a carriage house. I've looked at some of the plan sites on line, not crazy about what I've seen. (I probably want the impossible, lol)
kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here