Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boss429_gw

Craftsman Garage Door Opener No Close

boss429
14 years ago

After a recent thunderstorm my Craftsman Model 139.53992D garage door opener began to malfunction. The first time I operated the door after the storm the door opened normally. When I tried to close the door, it would not close.

The safety sensors are aligned properly. I get a steady strong green and amber light from the sensors. Every time I try to close the door, the opener moves the door trolley slightly further in the open direction. The LED next to the Learn button flashes 5 times, pauses briefly and flashes 5 times again in a continuous cycle. Sometimes between the 5 flashes the LED flickers dimly. I've tried unplugging the unit for a couple of minutes with no luck. I have two other identical openers on the same electrical circuit as this one. Both openers function perfectly after the storm.

What could be the problem with this opener?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (7)

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

The LED flashing 5 times is the code for 'RPM sensor board or motor overload'. The motor is running so it isn't overloaded. The RPM sensor board is a small printed circuit board just in front of the motor. It will be available through Sears or any good door opener service company in the yellow pages.

• boss429
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Every time I try to close the door, the door trolley moves further (probably 1/16 inch) in the open direction. Since I have tried to close the door many times, the door trolley is now actally past the normal fully open position. Since the door is now past (in the open direction) it's open limit would a faulty RPM sensor board cause the motor unit, in the brief instant that it operates, to continue to move the door trolley in the open direction each time I try to close the door?

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

The RPM sensor would not cause what you are now describing. Have you adjusted anything? Take off the cover and look at the limit switch assembly which is near the center and at the bottom of the motor. See if it is making contact.

• boss429
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have not made any adjusments. Today I rotated the motor unit and trolley assembly by hand at the coupling in the closed direction until the trolley was about half way between the open and closed position. I then operated the opener with the remote and the door once again opeated normally and went to the full open position. I tried operating the opener again to close the door and got the same response as before - the motor unit operated for an instant and the trolley moved further in the open direction. The opener acts like whatever tells the door to close when it's in the open position is not telling the door to go closed. Is this the logic board?

Thanks for your help.

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

Yes the logic board controls everything.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

I've had a T'storm take out a logic board, even with a whole house surge arrestor mounted on the garage sub panel. The boards seem to be overly sensitive to transients.

• boss429
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Follow Up: I replaced the logic board today. The opener now works fine. Thanks for all the advice.