Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attached garage away from kitchen or basement garage below

Posted by nerd (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 19:31

We are working on renovation plans and would like to add an attached 2 car garage to our one story ranch. The issue we have is that the ideal/easiest place to attach the garage is on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen. While this is more convenient than our current situation (detached garage across the driveway) the idea of hauling groceries across the house is not terribly appealing. There is also the possibility of adding a garage to the kitchen side of the house. We haven't gotten any plans drawn but the idea would be to have a garage that is an expansion of the basement space under the kitchen. We are adding a staircase to the asement so access wouldn't be an issue (we would also consider adding a dumbwaiter). Any thoughts/ perspectives are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attached garage away from kitchen or basement garage below

Our garage is like yours now, detached and away from the house. My husband has taken it over for his boat building hobby so we don't use it as a garage. Our driveway comes to the front of the house and our kitchen is at the back so I just bring groceries in through the front. When I have a large grocery order to bring in, if my husband's not around, I have one of those large old lady shopping carts that can handle about 4 large bags at a time and I use that. No problem. I just wheel it into the kitchen. If I used my garage regularly to put my car away, I wouldn't want to have to come and go through the basement to access my car, let alone schlep grocery bags up the stairs. I don't know how important it is for you to put your cars away at night or how old you are, but the older you get, the more you'll appreciate things on one level.

o
RE: Attached garage away from kitchen or basement garage below

I've also seen a house with a car port on one end (kitchen) and a garage on the other

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here