Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breidler

Sears/Craftsman garage door opener/remote opener

breidler
16 years ago

I have a Sears/Craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener #139.53681B, with the date of 01/98. I have the standard craftsman 3-button remote opener. Everything was working fine until I needed to change the battery in one of the remotes. Now, when I went to activate the remote after replacing the battery it deactivated the other remote. Then I tried to reactive the remote and it deactivated the other one. I tried clearing the settings, unplugging the system and then plugging it back in and reactivating the remotes with still the same problems.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!! I need some serious help!

I tried calling Sears and Craftsman hotlines with no help whatsoever.

Please send any suggestions to btreidler@sbcglobal.net.

Thank you

Comments (22)

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

One of your remotes has reverted to an earlier technology. You will need to purchase a new remote from Sears. Make sure it is the same model number or a guaranteed replacement. After a little experimenting you will know which remote works with the new one and which doesn't. Toss the one that doesn't work in the trash so that it doesn't cause problems in the future.

• mike204
    16 years ago

I am having the same problem. My model # is 13953673SRT1. I've tried a number of things I've read online, and even bought a new remote. I still cannot program more then one remote at a time. sears and chamberlain will not offer assistance on this either. Any other suggestions from anyone?

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

It is important you buy the correct remote for your opener. If the model number doesn't match the remote that is working then no one knows.

• spotty_2008
    16 years ago

Hi,

I have a Sears GDO model 139.53914 w/ 2 Security+ 3-function remote (139.53681B) and a Security+ keyless entry (139.53684). Bought this unit in Sep 2004.
    Yesterday the wall unit is working fine but 2 remote and the keyless entry do not work. Try to follow the manual to reprogram the remote but still have problem, try to erase the codes from motor unit memory ans restart from fresh but still have the same problem.

Please help....Thanks

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

You have a bad logic board which contains the receiver.

• spotty_2008
    16 years ago

It works fine until last week when I unplug the GDO before going on vacation for 2 weeks. I did this before and did not see any problem until this time.
    How much is the logic board cost and is it easy to replace?

Thanks.

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

The logic board runs around $80.00 and is easy to replace.

• spotty_2008
    16 years ago

Thanks Don.
    The complete GDO is $169.99 but the logic board is $80.00?
    Do we have any to troubleshoot or fix this board cheaper?

Thanks

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

The manufacturer has never made a schematic available for these. Labor costs just got too high.

• spotty_2008
    16 years ago

Hi Don,
    Today just try to press the remotes and they work, including the keyless entry pad. Do you have any ideas?

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

No way to tell what is going on. Just another mystery.

• spotty_2008
    16 years ago

It works fo a week then quit again. Call the service guy and they charge labor for $90.00 + $75.00 for the logic board = the price of the new GDO.
    I just open the side of the GDO where the logic borad is connected, unplug the power, unplug the connectors, then plug them back and turn power on, they work...but do not know for how long...

• julsie_2009
    14 years ago

I have a problem with both of my remotes. The new garage door motor was installed 3 years ago and we got two remotes. One worked for only a month and the other until recently, but with neither one working it is a problem. The ID numbers are:
    IC2666A TX2028
    Date: 11/05
    FCC ID: HBW2028

Do you have any suggestions? I thought about trying to replace the battery, but rarely used and not that old, although I would do that, but truthfully I can't figure out how to open the unit. I need all the help you can give me!

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

Step number one is to try the batteries. Even new batteries can be faulty. Does the door operate from the wall control? Do you have a wireless keypad and if so is it working? The answers to these questions will help.

• robison_a
    14 years ago

I am having an issue with the wall operator.. the door goes up normally when i press the big button but in order for it to go down i need to press and hold it. Same with the remote, if i press the button it goes up but does not come down. Can anyone please help??!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

• robison_a
    14 years ago

i just wrote that question but NEVERMIND!!! i fixed it!! one of the sensors was off. (: YAY! Thanks anyway!

• beachsidesodi_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am with Julsie_2009: I don't know how to open my inherited 9/98, 139.53681B GDO remote in order to change the battery, either. It is the 3 variable sized button style. The back of the GDO remote states to "Open this end" but doesn't state whether to pry it open or slide it open; if slide it open, which direction? Neither of these options work easily.

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

Slide off the visor clip and use it to twist the slot on the end of the remote. The two halves pop apart.

• jwanke_ntd_net
    12 years ago

Wondering if anyone has had a problem with the opener continually losing the transmitter code. Transmitter reprograms fine, but after a couple days, the transmitter stops working and the light in the hard-wired door button flashes. BTW, the second Craftsman opener in my garage continues to work using the same transmitter (separate button of course).

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

Your logic board is failing.

• efamily71
    12 years ago

wondering if anyone can help. i was just given a chamberlain liftmaster GDO. had a sears craftsman tht was working fine. but the chamberlain has more HP. but when i changed it out the chamberlain one would not communicate with my keyless entry . any ideas? please help.

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

No one can help you without model numbers.