Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible To Build A Garage-House Higher than Drive - PICS

Posted by debelli (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 17:20

I haven't a clue, so I'm here to ask, is it possible to build an attached garage (where carport is) when the house is higher than the driveway and have it attach to the home, like use the steps on the outside to get in to the house, thus having them in the garage? The crawl space is under the stairs, so not sure if this would be a possibility at all. I'm thinking the cost may be crazy to do something like this due to it having to be so tall???

Thanks for any clarification and/or ideas.

Front right corner

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible To Build A Garage-House Higher than Drive - PICS

I don't see why not..in fact it looks like you'd pick up quite a bit of storage space.

o

Sure you can do that. You do need to design and locate it so that there is space for the inside steps, either at the opposite end from the main door or along the side of the building. In the latter case, the garage will have to be wider than normal, but it may provide a usable loft storage space.

Since it will be attached, there are other issues involved, not the least of which are structural integrity and aesthetics. It would best if it were designed by a professional.

o

I found out you get a break on your home insurance if you build your garage as a separate structure. It is then covered under the adjacent structures clause and doesn't increase the insured square footage of your home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here