Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Overhead? Where to start 4 garage door

Posted by finz2left (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 28, 09 at 15:07

and opener?

We have a home that has never had a garage door opener or garage door (it is 15 years old). Oddly, in our neighborhood, that is very common.

Other than price and R value, what she would be looking for in starting our search? I'm tempted to just go into HD and say, come out and do it, but my gut says that is the wrong strategy, LOL.

thanks! Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Overhead? Where to start 4 garage d

One of the problems with Sears, Home Depot and Lowes is that they just collect your money and then hire someone else to do the work. I would prefer dealing with the worker myself. But you can get estimates from them all. The yellow pages are full of garage door installers.

o

Start by researching the brands. There are several, but the two biggies are Overhead Door and Clopay. I have had both and recommend neither. I have not had any other brand, but will the next time.

Check the Yellow Pages for door companies in your area. They normally list what brands they sell and install. Make a list and research them using the web. While you are at it, try and get ratings on the local companies if you can.

Finally, talk to those that have brands you are interested in and get quotes.

FWIW, Chamberlain (they also make the Craftsman brand) openers have a good reputation. Wayne Dalton appears to have issues with its openers from the web posts I have come across.

If you want to install your own door, Clopay from a box store is the only game in town.

Good luck.

o

Thanks. I think installing myself would be above my diy skills. I wasn't sure if the locals would be "good" doors compared to "big store" brands. Thank you...I'll start calling around!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here