Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Craftsman Garage Door opener dip switches

Posted by leme (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 14, 06 at 13:30

Hi, I have an old Sears Craftsman GDO put in about 17 yrs ago, model 139.53615SR. The 3-button remotes we used to have are long gone. I am going to buy a remote, but I know I will have to program the dip switches from the main unit to the remote. Where in the main unit are the switches located and how do I get to them? I need things really explained to me because I am a very unhandy middle aged woman. Thanks, Leme

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Craftsman Garage Door opener dip switches

Leme your opener doesn't have dip switches. It has a smart/learn button just to the left of all those white wires. You didn't ask for it but I would like to give you a little advice. Don't spend money on this old outdated opener. Get a new one which will be much much safer.

o

Hi Don, Thanks, but I don't have the money to have a new one put in at this time. The opener works great & it seems quite safe. It opens with the key pad outside and the unit on the wall inside the garage. It also works with my car. I just want to be able to program a remote control for it. I don't see a smart/learn button on the outside, could it be inside? or do I have to unscrew something? The remotes that I used to have for it had switch settings. What remote can I get for it and how do I program it to my GDO. Thanks

o

The company made these openers backwards compatible so older remotes would work with newer openers and for a time you may have gotten a mix of models. If you in fact do have dip switches they will be in the same place I described. Just to the left of where all those white wires go. You do not need to remove anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here