Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924

Central_Cali369
9 years ago

Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were built in 1924. The garage was originally built with a cement foundation around the edges, leaving a dirt floor in the center. At some point in the 70s, somebody poured a concrete floor, and so that's what I have now. I have been tossing ideas back and forth in my head to renovate the small structure and use it as a sort of man-cave (to keep weights and workout equipment.) I have absolutely no idea of where to even start. The inside structure is very sturdy, there is a new roof that was installed two years ago, and on the outside it has cedar siding attached directly to the framework. There is a a gap between the roof and the walls that is about 4 inches wide all around, The upper triangular portion of the front-facing wall is made of narrow vertical slats with spaces between each slat to allow for air circulation inside.

I live in Fresno, California. Humidity is not a concern for us, the region is very arid except for during the months of December through March when we receive about 10 inches of rain on an average year. Frosts and freezes are rare. I thought it might help for you to know that.

1. Would there be a problem with the fact that siding is attached directly to the framework? Should I need to use tar paper between studs, then add insulation and finally drywall on the inside?

2. Should I close the gap between the roof and walls?

Any input is helpful!

Thanks, Josh

Comment (1)