Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tj4ndirish

Craftsman Garage Door Opener sometimes....

tj4ndirish
13 years ago

Hi all, first post here and hoping someone can help me with my issue.

I have a Craftsman Garage Door Opener, 3/4hp model 139.

53924, most of the time when we go to open it, either with our remote or the wall button, it goes up about a foot and just stops, depending on the mood of the opener, we have to shut the door and retry anywhere from 1-10 times to get it to finally open. Once in a while if it is in a good mood it will open on the first try. It closes with no problem, so it can't be the safety sensors.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Comments (5)

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

Can't be safety sensors. They only work when the door is closing. On the rear of the motor unit near where all those white wires go you will find the 'up force' adjustment. Increase this about 1/4 turn and try. You also should take a look at the door springs to make sure you don't have a broken spring.

• tj4ndirish
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don......checked and spring isn't broken. I adjusted the up force, it was almost all the way up to start. Tried it once and it went up, but has done so any other time I've worked on it. I'll update tomorrow if not working. Thanks.

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

One other thing to take a look at is the drive gear. It is just in front of the motor and is white nylon. If it is going bad it will be obvious as there will be "white sawdust" all over the cover when you remove it.

• imogden
    13 years ago

Hi Don,
    Have seen in earlier posts, others like tj4ndirish and also me, that's why I am chiming in, have had problems with the Craftsman model #139.53924.

My circumstances almost identical.

Pressing any one of the remotes or the wall button, cause the door to raise about a foot or so and stops.

Pressing the remotes again, the door will close completely. This can as someone said go on for 1-? times.

I usually just go out the man door (garage door) to the remote in front of the house that is mounted right by the door, pressing the remote there, I can reach under the door as it is opening and ever so lightly help raise it just for the 2-4 inch section a foot off the foot where it seems to ordinarily stops, whereupon it will continue to open completely.

Hope that can provide an interim solution for others, and help you diagnose our dilemma, so we can have a permanent fix.

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

On the rear of the motor unit near where all those white wires go you will find the 'up force' adjustment. Increase this 1/4 turn and try. This control will help compensate for springs that are getting tired. Now is a good time to remove the cover from the motor unit and take a look at the drive gear. It is white nylon and takes the full load of raising the door. You can normally tell if it is going bad because you will see what looks like white sawdust. The force adjustment may do it for you though.