Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to clean or sharpen table saw blades???

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 11 at 12:03

I thought my tablesaw blade was dull since it was burning the wood but I was told it might be because it is crapped up with years or resin and other deposits. Could be since I see a thick coating on it. A 'net search suggested using something called citrus oil soap to soak off the pitch, but not sure where to find this. I assume it is a terpene derivative such as Pinesol - would that work?

Is it worth sharpening a 60 tooth carbide tipped blade that is 25 yr old with infrequent use, or buy a new one? Again a 'net search suggests sharpening it myself using a diamond Dremel tool.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to clean or sharpen table saw blades???

Or use EasyOff.

o

Brickeyee, do you have experience with Easyoff? My first thought is that strong caustic would not be kind to sharp metal edges.

o

Easy off works fine for heavy pitch removal.

It only takes a few minutes.

If the blades are carbide it will not bother them, and if they are plain steel blades you need to get a carbide tipped blade.

The only thing it can damage is coated blades.
It is pretty good at stripping the coating.

o

A soak in undiluted Simple Green works like a champ for cleaning blades. Nicer to use than Easy-Off (which also works fine).

You may find that a more modern design blade will cut better and be safer and quieter. Blades have improved a lot over the last 25 years.

o

WD-40 works fine for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here