Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gear stripped on garage door opener

Posted by eslaym01 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 11:24

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener and the drive gear has shredded. If I replace the drive gear, is there anything I can adjust so that my gear is not stripped again? What causes this? Age? (Mine is at least ten yrars old!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gear stripped on garage door opener

This is a common problem especially on an opener the age yours is. That gear takes the brunt of the operation. One thing that is often ignored is the maintenance of the door itself. The springs also grow weak with time. Ten years is actually considered the normal life of an opener although most people get more.

o

I've had my Sears GDO for 21 years and replaced the drive gears twice. As mentioned above, maintenance on the door hardware is important to get maximum life out of the GDO. Does he door operate smoothly with the GDO, or does it shake, rattle and jerk on the way up or down?
With the GDO traveler disengaged, make sure the door operates smoothly and is in balance with the springs. With the bottom of the door at about chest height, it should not have to be held to remain in that position.

o

I had the same problem with my drive gears, and I've replaced them. But now the door won't open more than 3 inches, so here's my question: if my door wouldn't remain in waist-high position when the traveler was disengaged, am I having an issue with my springs? If so, can I repair that on my own, will I need help, or should I just replace the whole system?

o

I'm a firm believer in leaving the springs to the professionals. They can be dangerous. I think you should call out a door technician and let him recommend what you need. Talk to some neighbors and see if you can find someone they have had experience with.

o

It's odd - once the new gear was in place, I tested the opener without the exterior casing or the sprocket cap, and got no results. I put the casing and cap back on, and everything works now. Either I underestimated the importance of the casing and cap, needed to give my opener some time to resync with the power on, or just caught a break. Thanks for your reply about the springs - I tend to agree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here