Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2001 Craftsman GDO 13953976SRT

Posted by tochiman (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 5, 06 at 10:45

Opener has worked great until recently. Frequently will not open all the way. Stops at various mid-way points. Closes completely with no issues, just won't open all the way at times. When closing after an incident, entire system shuts off for about 15 seconds and then comes back on. Sometimes light blinks spastically, but not with any specific pattern. Unplugged and replugged, tightened wire connections, checked for obstructions and checked sensors (one green/one yellow). Can't figure out what the GDO is trying to tell me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2001 Craftsman GDO 13953976SRT

Sounds like your springs may be losing strength or your drive gear may be wearing. Take off the cover and look around the front of the motor (door side). You will see a white nylon gear. Look for wear and possible white saw dust. If the gear looks okay you will find a control on the end where all those white wires go that is marked 'up force'. Increase it about a quarter turn and try the door.

o

I removed the cover and as I was doing it, my vibrations were shutting the entire GDO off and on. Keypad, lights and sensors together were clicking on and off as if I was pulling the plug and plugging back in. I tried opening the door and bumped the housing and it shut off. I hit it again and it came on, etc, etc. I did see some wear and white sawdust on the nylon sprocket but not enough for replacement (I think). Because it sounds like a microswitch is tripping in the circuit board, I unplugged and removed the wires and then the circuit board. Can I get a replacement for a decent price?

o

Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. The price of the board runs about $80.00 but I wouldn't do that. Once that gear starts shedding the white sawdust it is a one way downhiull street.

o

So if the gear is toast, is it worthwhile to replace it? Or is it better to get a new motor unit? rg

Here is a link that might be useful: Gears

o

Bad drive gears are among the most common problems with openers. If it is a newer unit I would replace it (the gear), if it is older it might not be worth the service and labor charges to replace it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here