Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears garage opener thinks its in open position

Posted by timsr (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 10:23

Sears garage door model 139.53991 - The garage door lost its mind and thinks its in the open position when the door is actually closed... It happened over night. I haven't replaced any gears or perfomed any other maintenance on it. How can I get the remotes (wall and portable) in sync with the opener??? Any help with this is appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears garage opener thinks its in open position

Could you explain what it is actually doing? I know the door is closed but what does it do when you press a button?

o

Hi, The door is closed and when I hit the wall or hand held opener control it makes noise as if it wants to work. After further inspection I noticed the "shaft" attached to the top of the opener is trying to turn, but in the close position direction (I think turning left). I have an identical opener that still works and verified the correct "open" direction is the opposite way for the shaft to be turning when closed to open (I think right, clockwise). I used a screwdriver touching both the working andd non working shaft to determine the direction it tries to turn. I hope this information is enough for you to provide guidence on repairing it. Thanks again. Tim

o

You can try adjusting the 'down limit'. It is on the side of the motor unit and you need to turn it in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Might not be a bad idea to remove that cover and take a look at the limit switch assembly. You should get an idea how it works and what is happening.

o

Thanks, I'll try the down limit... Next I'll check the Limit switch assembly behind the cover. First I need to research what the limit switch is for and how it works like you said. Thanks again and have a happy holiday if I don't hear back from you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here