Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door won't open in cold weather

Posted by flinch (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 9:53

Our garage door opens just fine in nice weather, but as soon as it goes below 30 degrees, it malfunctions, and only opens if we fiddle with the switch over and over again. Since we live in northern Wisconsin, we have this problem from November to April! Is there something we can do to troubleshoot this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door won't open in cold weather

By switch do you mean wall button or remote? Does it work fine from one and not the other??

o

By switch, I mean the wall button. It will only open with the remote if the weather is above 30 degrees. And, to get it to open with the switch in this cold weather, we have to fiddle and fiddle with it.

o

It sounds to me like you have a circuit board issue. If the opener is not really old I would put a circuit board in it and see what happens.

o

My door suddenly stopped opening up when it got really cold last week. I too had to "fiddle" with the swith to get it to open. I assumed it was due to the cold weather causing some resistance. I simply adjusted the Up force adjustment knob to give it a little more force and it now opens fine. Not sure if your door opener has a force adjustment knob or not, but likely it does. I'd try that and see if it makes a difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here