Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
motion switch on garage opener

Posted by tonyb73 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 17, 09 at 1:16

I have 2 doors in my garage and are liftmaster 3850 with motion switch on them. ever since the elctric company put in new digital meter the opener light stays on when the motion switch is on. liftmaster sent me new logic board that didnt help then sent new wall switch smae problem. if motion switch is off and I use the door opener the light goes off after 3 minutes like it should. this is strange anybody have a answer. both door openers have they same problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: motion switch on garage opener

I would talk to the electric company and explain what is happening after they installed the new meter. Although the manufacturer of the opener calls that wall control a "motion sensor" in the owners manual it says it detects body heat. I think it must be detecting heat from the digit meter that was installed. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but this is something new.

o

I will bet a dollar to a donut that the digital meter is generating radio frequency (RF) interference, which is affecting the opener's circuit board. The fault may lie with meter, the opener (overly sensitive to RF), or both.

I would start by telling the electric company and asking them to change out the meter. If it is generating electrical interference, it probably violates FCC regs. Sometimes a gentle mention of that fact can cause an electric utility to actually do something about their RF polluting equipment.

Good luck.

o

I have been doing some snooping and I find the digital meter transmits data eliminating the meter reader. Good thing they put an off switch on that motion sensor.

o

I called COMed and waiting to hear from them

o

Comed came out today put in old meters. motion light works. they are trying to find out how to fix the problem with the new meters they are leaving in the old ones. Can RF signal be sheilded

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here