Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's the material name I'm looking for?

Posted by rbigg (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 22:32

Year back, you used to find hard, thin stuff covering on all work benches. It was hard and shiny on one side, and sort of soft on the other. Sometimes, it was used to be an outside cover on vertical as well as horizontal surfaces on work areas. Great stuff. Easy to cut.

Sort of a bit like formica, but not near as brittle. And, you could cut this stuff easier.....

Is there anywhere you can find that stuff today? I mean I haven't seen it in Home Depot or Lowes for years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's the material name I'm looking for?

Masonite, a brand of tempered hardboard?

You should be able to find it at big box stores. If not, a local lumber supplier.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Than You Wanted To Know About Hardboard

o
RE: what's the material name I'm looking for?

At one time there was a laminate made of polyester, I believe, that handled and installed like the high pressure melamine. Not nearly as durable as the high pressure, but it looked good for a while. I have not seen any of it for 40 years or more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here