Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthworm_gw

Garage with a basement

earthworm
13 years ago

This is the second place(out of 100) that I have seen, a small garage(20 by 20) with a basement(exterior entrance). About four old rusty I beams and a steel ceiling are used to support the vehicle and the concrete floor.

Nor sure how well this works.

Its begging for clean up , ventilation and heat, and maintenance.

Grit blast, prime and paint?

These things have never been done ...for 50 years it appears.

Comments (8)

• earthworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

99.9% of homeowners garages have no basement..
    Come 4 Dec, I am willing to bet $90K that this is an idea with merit and that it can work...it will be my gardening area....I may even try an indoor compost section.Of course, the 90K buys the 1.5K floor space house , garage and land....I hope..

• kymike
    13 years ago

We are planning a home with walkout basement on a sloping lot. Our Architect recommended adding a basement below the garage due to the amount of fill that would need to be brought in to provide a level garage floor. This would become my workshop in place of building a separate free-standing structure. Once cost estimates are in, we will know if this is a less expensive route to take or not.

• hendricus
    13 years ago

Parking ramps are nothing but a whole lot of basements stacked up. So, not a new idea.

• kymike
    13 years ago

While not a new idea, I am waiting to see the cost estimates. No question that this is doable, but at what cost? Houses are generally not built as sturdy as parking garages.

• earthworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

An idea's qualities should be its economic feasibility among other things, newness and fads matter not.....Its something that fill should be such a costly factor....its only dirt...but those huge boulders underneath are a challenge.
    Best of success and luck,Kymike, with the basement under the garage.

• joe_mn
    13 years ago

my buddy has a lawn service. they built a nice house on a hilly lot and have a huge basement garage. and brother in law built a new 7k sq/ft house with a 4car garage that is 30x50 with a sport court underneath. it has 18ft ceilings and in-floor hot water heat. he said he knows of other houses that have the same feature. my wife said he was building a gym in his new house and i had to see it to understand what she meant.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"Our Architect recommended adding a basement below the garage due to the amount of fill that would need to be brought in to provide a level garage floor. "

Fill must be VERY expensive in your location.

A garage with a basement is much more expensive then a simple slab ion grade.

The slab becomes a real structural element, requiring engineering.

If you want a clear area under the slab (and not a forest of supports) it gets even more expensive.

You are likely to end up with a slab over 12 inches thick.

• joe_mn
    13 years ago

person i know put addition on fairly new house. turns out backyard was dump site for development. they excavated down 20 ft thru debris to find undisturbed soil. had footing poured, built 20ft of cinderblock foundation and backfilled it so they now have crawlspace. developer gave them a deal.