Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on type of garage door drive

Posted by cassie_swpa_z6_7 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 07 at 21:36

We have found answers before on this forum, and I did a quick search but did not see a recent thread on this question. If I missed it, I apologize.

We had Craftsman screw-drive garage door openers installed when we built the house in 2003. One gave out last month and the Sears repairman told us today that it would cost
$250 to fix and that he would recommend replacing it with a belt drive since they dont wear out as quickly. The garage is under the kitchen and dining room and both doors are used every day. We originally chose the screw drive because we understood it would be relatively quiet, which it has been (but of course manual operation is quieter!)

Rather than repair it based on the cost, we plan to replace and will probably get another Craftsman for a variety of reasons; however, we are unsure on the type of drive to get and whether to replace both now. We would probably prefer not to get a chain drive. Any advice on his advice on a belt drive?

Thanks in advance,

cassie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on type of garage door drive

If quiet is a factor do not get a chain drive. The screw drive was originally designed with the one piece door in mind. The door that swivels in the center. The kind of door you can't have if you live where it snows. The worst door ever made. Now I'm off my high horse. If you have sectional doors I would get the belt drive. I would wait until the second opener has a problem before I replaced it. Some of those things last 20 years.

o

Don,
Thank you so much for your reply. We do have sectional doors and will take your suggestion to just replace the broken one for now.

We do have another question which hopefully makes sense given what little we know, but maybe can't be answered without seeing it. When the now-broken opener was installed, they had to cut the channels at least 6-8" because of duct work in the garage ceiling on that side. Do you think this will present a problem with installing the belt drive?

o

You know this has never come up with a belt drive and I honestly don't know the answer. I suggest you call Sears for the answer.

o

Thanks again, Don. We got a number from Sears for the local installer and left a message but will probably find out for sure what they can do when they are here. Thanks so much for your help!

o

Just an update - we were all set to have a new Craftsman belt drive installed but the local installer who put in the originals was able to repair the present screw drive opener at a very reasonable charge and in less than 10 minutes. He also recommended a belt drive for the future and said that it can be cut to fit.

cassie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here