Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Painting Garage Drywall

bobby1973
10 years ago

Hi folks - we're having a new construction home being built with completion right around the corner. The homes in our development that are already completed have those unpainted garages with the bare drywall and the spackle all over the walls and the ceiling. I've always found that hideous, so I approached the painters today, who are currently painting the interior of the house. I asked them for a quote if I were to pay them to paint the walls and. ceiling in the garage. They gave me a quote of $900. I thought that was very excessive, but they explained to me that painting the inside of a garage is much more labor intensive than simply painting a bedroom for example. They said that there are many steps involved including a lot of sanding and mudding (some sort of spackling they do) and then 2 coats of paint. They also said I would need to pay for the paint and they're saying that they will need two of those large 5 gallon paint containers, which will run me about $80. So we're talking about $1,000 just to get the interior of the garage painted. I told him that I have to think about it. I don't know anything about the labor involved in painting a garage, but $1,000 just seems awefully expensive. Does anyone know if this is a fair price for this type of painting?

Thanks kindly everyone!

Comments (5)