Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Opener tries to CLOSE when already closed

Posted by rag133 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 4, 08 at 20:20

My 1/2 HP craftsman garage door opener is doing crazy things. Basically, when I push the door button or remote button, the closed garage door tries to CLOSE more and causes the track bar to bend upwards. For some reason it seems like the opener thinks the door is open and it is closing it more, which causes the bar to almost snap. I was told it was a bad sensor since the lights were off initally, i got new sensors, lights are back on, yet it will not open still, just attempt to close an already closed door. I lightened the force settings to 1, no change.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Opener tries to CLOSE when already closed

On the side of the motor unit you will find 2 controls. One is the down limit and the other is the up limit. I would take the cover off and look at what these controls are doing. The down limit is either mis-adjusted or broken. Turn the down limit in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover to correct this if it is not broken. If you remember where the down force adjustment was I would put it back. It affects the safety.

o
RE: Craftsman Opener tries to CLOSE when already closed

This will happen when the lower bushing goes out on the gear and sprocket shaft. The limits skip timing and eventually the door doesn't know where it actually is during travel. A good Garage door company can fix this for you or you can order a gear and sprocket assembly with bushings from sears on line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Doors & Openers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here