Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
craftman garage door opener

Posted by jimmyt9360 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 19:57

My 1/2 hp garage door opener stopped working. The light comes on when you hit the remotes, but the motor will not come on. A repair person said on the phone it was because the spring was broken. The spring has been broken for a year. I would think if that was it the motor would still try to move the door. Is there a reset? Could it be the motor starter capacitor? Is there anything inside I can check. The door sensors are ok. I jumpered them out and it made no difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftman garage door opener

So you have had a broken spring for a year and your opener has worked fine?? Does the motor just click or does it run without lifting the door???

o

My door is doing the same as jimmyt9360, was the problem a motor starter capacitor? Does anyone know when you have a bad motor starter capacitor what happens? My opener just clicks with the light all on. But no motor sound and does not open. When wall switch is pushed it flashes 5 times.
Please help!!!

o

It is not the starting capacitor. Did your door stop working in the open position. If so check to see if the trolley (the thing the door is connected to) is jammed against a bolt just in front of the motor unit. If so, remove the bolt and then run the door. While the door is in the down position adjust the 'up limit' (on the side of the motor) about 4 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Replace the bolt and you should be good to go. Please post back and let us know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here