Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brazer_gw

Garage Door Transmiter Problem - Metal Door

brazer
17 years ago

Hey everyone...new here...Hope someone can help me with my current predicament, as I'm not a very "handy" guy.

I live in an old house with an old Stanley garage door system...I had programmed the transmittor in my car to open/close the door the past few years, so there were no problems.

Last month I sold the car, so had to dig up my the regular transmiter. It wasn't working, so I replaced the battery, and even then, it wasn't working...or it would work sometimes then not other times.

So I figured the thing was a dinosaur...they system is prob 20 yrs old I think.

So went to the store, and bought a universal remote by SkyLink...came home and programmed it, but it would not work...i called tech support, and they told me that if it won't work, i need to also buy a separate receiver.

So I went back to the store, and bought the receiver.

I connected the receiver to a power source, and wired the 2 wires into the fixed garage door opener thingy on the wall, and then I programmed the remote to work with the receiver...and everything was great.

It was working fine at close range...and I went out to the driveway, and it still worked fine from 30 feet out.

I smiled and was happy with my work.

Then....when the garage door was DOWN, I pressed the button and NOTHING...tried again at close range and nothing again.

Called tech support, and they said that they were sorry but our door is METAL and sometimes their systems just can not penetrate through metal.

I asked for a "fix" or upgrade....and she said there was nothing to do, and recommended I try another manufacturer who might offer a more robust system that goes through metal.

I'm stuck.

Can anyone help me please? I'm not very handy so I can't really do crazy rewiring and stuff...

Thanks.

Comments (3)