Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Garage doors

Posted by ss454-1969 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 07 at 17:01

I would like a wooden roll-up Garage door in the Sacramento area. It seems most that I have found do not make them, that they order them in and really just install them at a given location. Has anyone bought on line and had a wooden garage door shipped to them that would fit a 7' high by 16' wide openning? If so, would you do it again? Our remodeled garage is to have a Spanish style exterior with hand plaster with cap and pan style tile roof, so the door should be very plain, no windows, and could be stained or painted to match the trim. Any ideas? Old Stair Guy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Garage doors

The typical wooden garage doors here in the midwest sag in the middle over time. I wouldn't have one for that reason. What you see on This Old House sometimes is a wood veneer added to a metal door, that should stand the test of time. But be willing to shell out some $$.

o
RE: Wood Garage doors

After not getting much help here I decided to do all the research on my own as to wood over steel garage door. Because my G/D faces East, & because I thought the wood would have the look & feel I wanted, I decided to cut costs in other places to handle the extra cost of going wood over steel! I made field trips as far south as (500+ miles) San Diago CA. & also Northern Calif. & here in Sacramento, Ca. It was very interesting to see & hear their comparisons of the other guys, etc. but when the chips finally feel I made what I hope was the best decision. When it's installed I will let you know if I did........ might be the first time ... HA! Elden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here