Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2 hp Garage Door Opener

Posted by melissa0919 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 16:33

My husband and I recently moved into a new rental property with this type of opener in the garage. Many of our neighbors are able to use their remotes to open and close our garage door. It doesn't happen every single time, but it is very frequent (say 3-5 times a day). Our landlord does not want to replace the unit.
My husband turned down the signal/frequency, but that didn't seem to help. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any options other than replacing the unit?
CRAFTSMAN 1/2 HP
MODEL # 139.536.5SR
MANUFACTURED: 07/91
(CHAIN DRIVEN)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 hp Garage Door Opener

What is it that doesn't happen every time?

o

I had the same problem. I had to change the code. Did it by opening the transmitter (the button in your car). there should be a series of slide switches preset at the factory. you can change these to whatever you like.
It doesn't matter what you set them to as long as ALL transmitters and especially the opener in the garage is changed to the same code. On the opener there should be a plastic cover that pops off to reset the code.

Newer door openers actually have a "rolling code" feature to prevent this problem

o

I would file a complaint with the property managers. Their continued use of those old openers is putting you at risk. They should upgrade those openers to new rolling code models right away.

Ask the landlord if he realizes how much it will cost him if something happens to you or your property if he doesn't replace the unit after you have informed him of the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here