Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problems with garage door opener

Posted by karen_22 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 15:43

Hi, I have a craftsman model 139.53648srt2, bought a gear and sprocket kit, installed it, now it travels only 6 inches in either direction. tried my up and down adjustments. adjustments does nothing, and double checked sensors, and also checked terminal wires. what do you think could be the problem? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problems with garage door opener

If I recall correctly, when you take things apart there's a gear that goes down to the limit controls. I'd take a second look at that. I also recall those limit controls are kind of fragile. Anyway, that's where I would start.

Have you disconnected the opener from the door and tried operating it without the door connected?

o
RE: problems with garage door opener

I have a similiar problem as described above, without the gear and sprocket installation. Here is the info: 1/2 HP Craftsman opener (139.536625RT mfg 2/97), has worked fine for the past 10 years. Nothing new has been added, sensors aligned, all treminal screws tight, all wire connections are secure. The unit will only raise and lower the door @4 inches. I tried to adjust each of the settings (up/down distance and the amount of pressure) but there to no avail. I suspect the controller board is suffered a fatal failure. Any Ideas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here