Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chamberlain won't open from car, wireless keypad works fine

Posted by psnave (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 28, 06 at 15:05

Hello --

I'm trying to figure out why our Chamberlain Whisper drive is malfunctioning. Unit is 2 years old on a double door.

Opener works fine from wall location ALWAYS, and works 90% of time from wireless keypad location (meaning 10% of the time I have to enter code 2 times to get it to take it and raise door).

However, for the past 8 months or so it is totally inconsistent with my Homelink system in my car. Upon returning home and entering driveway, many times the door will not open. I have tried pressing and holding, pressing quickly...but often times it just will NOT open, and I have to get out and use the wireless keypad outside the garage door. The Homelink does normally work fine when I am leaving the driveway and CLOSING the door (well, most of the time anyway.

The problem seems to get worse in cold weather (just what you don't want).

Does this sound like an antennae/reception issue or a logic board issue?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chamberlain won't open from car, wireless keypad works fine

Yes, it sounds like an antenna issue, since the antenna is connected to the logic board, the only fix is to replace the logic board, or you might try extending the antenna to the front of your garage. Use a piece of wire similar to the gauge wire on the antenna, cut and splice into the antenna and run the wire on the ceiling all the way to the front of the garage and see if it helps.

o

Other than buying a new wireless opener, have you tried resetting the binary switches? These are set to "0" or "1". This is pure speculation, but before you start WRITE DOWN THE CODE for wireless opener. Carefully switch each one back and forth. If no success, do the same for receiver on the inside motor.

o

If you unit is old enough to have switches fort code setting pitch it out and get a new rolling code system.

The switch code units have been obsolete for years and easily defeated by anyone that cares to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here