Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Workshop in the basement???

Posted by tncraft (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 14:08

The next house has a below ground basement with one window and one exterior door. It is unfinished and not insulated, all you see is the concrete walls.

The question is, can we put a workshop there? I have been convincing my husband to put his workshop there instead of using garage space. Is there really any issues of using the basement as workshop? He's worried about stale air. His workshop would only be about 15-20% of the total basement space.

Any advice? Is this possible? How to make it work? I'm the one trying to do the research since I am the one doing the convincing on putting his workshop in the basement. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Workshop in the basement???

What kind of workshop? If woodworking, you may find a lot of sawdust will migrate upstairs. If painting, finishing, etc, provisions will have to be made for ventilation.

o

randy427... Thanks for the feedback. Yes, there would be some woodworking. So a ventilation/exhaust won't be enough? Is there a way to make a woodworking workshop work in the basement?

o

Having had a basement workshop for years (woodworking and metal working) the biggest problem was always getting larger pieces of material in and out.

Dust control is not all that hard with a decent cyclonic dust collector system (luckily metal chips do not tend to go very far anyway, though cutting oil can smell).

Large pieces of wood (like 4x8 foot sheet goods) are a real PITA to move in, and even larger lumber pieces can be a problem (I cannot imagine moving a 16 ft x 44 inch x 4.5 ft mahogany plank down a staircase).

I now have a basement shop, but have a floor level door that exits to a walk out garage (and the really large pieces are still a little bit of trouble).

I often end up chopping raw materials down in the garage to more manageable sizes.
. The other issue with a basement shop is humidity.

Metal working tools (lathes, mills, shears) can be kept oiled easily enough, but wood working tools are a little tougher to protect without running the risk of contaminating materials and producing finishing problems.

A hear gun, paste wax, and buffing can put a hard wax coat on woodworking tools (table saw tables, band saw table, drill press tables and columns, etc.) to protect against rust. I end up doing mine about twice a year.

o

Microfine sawdust almost invisible to the naked eye can wreak havoc in your HVAC system

o

"Microfine sawdust almost invisible to the naked eye can wreak havoc in your HVAC system"

If it is that fine it goes right though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here