Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
horzplay

G.D.O. craftsman139.53918D opens by itself????

horzplay
16 years ago

Any idea as to why my opener is malfuctioning???

We have a Craftsman model# 139.53918D

The problem I am having is when the door is down it will open on its own a couple hours later. This model has a diagnostic read out at the control console, but reads nothing after our discovery of the door being open. I also have checked the LED at the main unit and no flashing there. I can't say when it opens wether or not the lights flash as I have never been in the garage when it opens. Every thing else seems fine. It just seems to open after a couple hours.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! :) THANKS!!! Kelley

Comments (5)

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

What are the chances of a neighbor having a remote on the same frequency?

• horzplay
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did try to use my remote to see if it works for anyone else on the street. but no other doors open. I will ask my neighbors to use the remotes to see if that is the problem. for the last 2 days is hasn't opened, but today when I woke I found it open again but only half way!??? What is going on????

• horzplay
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK I was just in the garage when the door opened!!! No flashing lights!!! No message at the read out!!! So I went outside to see if anyone else had come or gone, and nothing!!!

HELP!!!

• cobraguy
    16 years ago

Has this started since the outside temps have dropped? I have seen wall switches cause this once the temps dropped...but it's rare.

Next, and I've seen this several times. Take every remote you have and put them on the counter somewhere where they can't be touched. If you have a wireless keypad, remove the battery. Then see if the problem disappears. I have seen remotes carried in purses, in drawers, etc that get pushed accidently and cause just what you're seeing. You can also remove the batteries for all the remotes and see if you have a remote malfunctioning. If the door quits opening on it's own, you can reactivate one remote at a time until the problem appears. You'll have the culprit!

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

Here are some ideas.

Look at the LED light next to the SMART/LEARN button on rear of the motor unit. You may need to remove a light lens cover in order to see it. If the light is flashing rapidly this means you have a stuck button on one of your remote controls. Take the batteries out of each remote control. When you remove the batteries from the bad remote, the light will stop flashing. This remote needs to be replaced.

If one of your neighbors remote controls is inadvertently programmed into your receiver, you door will open when their remote is activated. If this happens you will need to clear out your receiver and reprogram your remote controls. Press and hold the smart/learn button for 6 seconds or until you see the small LED light near the button turn itself off. If the above steps have been followed and the symptoms continue, there may be an electronic short in either the wall control button or the receiver logic board. In this case, remove the wall control wires from terminals 1 and 2 on the motor unit. Should the symptoms persist after the wires are removed, replace the receiver logic board. If the symptoms stop with the wall control wires removed from the motor unit, replace the wall control button, and the wires leading to the wall control button.