Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Electrical code requirements in the US

Posted by pogobongo (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 13:23

Hi guys,

I am from 220v land in Europe and am finding out about code reqs in the US in order to wire a couple of outlets in a shed.

I intend to run 220v out to the shed to power my European tools but also need 110v for my new US toys!

if I run 3 wires to the garage (2 hots and a ground) this is ok for 220v. If I then want 110v do I simply take one 220v leg and use the ground as the neutral? If so, to what do I then connect the ground on the receptacle?

I understand from what I have read that neutral and ground may only be connected at the main panel subsequent to a code change in 1996, so I am confused as to what to do. Do I need to run 4 wires out to the garage and use one as a dedicated neutral?

Thanks for enlightening me as to how things are done here!


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Electrical code requirements in the US

Your best bet would be to post your question on the electrical wiring forum. There are some pros there that will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: electrical wiring

RE: Electrical code requirements in the US

Thye safety ground is NEVER used as a current carrying conductor.

To get 120/240 V you need FOUR wires, hot,hot, neutral (groundED), and groundING (safety ground).

A separate structure can only have a single circuit (though a 120/240 V counts as one circuit) without having a panel.

Your 240 V tools will run fine on US 240 V wiring.

If they have universal motors (brushes and a commutator) they will even run at the same speed.

Induction motor will run slightly faster (US is 60 Hz vs. European 50 Hz).

RE: Electrical code requirements in the US

Are not Europe and Asia on 3 phase electricity?
So, unless a transformer is used in the system, the life may be reduced for the Euro motors...
Just a thought.

RE: Electrical code requirements in the US

"Are not Europe and Asia on 3 phase electricity? "

No more than we are in the US.

3-phase is used for large loads, either industrial or with a transformer setup in large buildings (208 V 'sitnger' system).

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here