Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door Springs

Posted by pion (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 13:12

Hi,
I would like to convert my garage door from an extension spring system to a torsion spring system. The torsion system will allow me to use a wall mount opener as opposed to the common ceiling type.
Is this conversion possible? Practical? Good? Bad? Idea??

Thanks
dac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door Springs

I'd like to answer your questions.

Possible? Yes
Practical? No unless you have a garage with restricted headroom.
Good or Bad Idea? Good if you are going to hire professionals to do the job and bad if you are going to DIY. Terribly bad if you are considering Wayne Dalton door opener.

o
RE: Garage Door Springs

Depending on the size door you have conversions can be costly. The company I work for charges $300.00. If it is on a 8ft or 9ft wide door, My personal opinion is it would be a waste of time and money. By the time you are done you could be spending upwards of $600.00 (cost of the opener being $300.00 or more) just to have jackshaft opener. I guess it depends on personal preference. I agree with Don No Wayne Dalton openers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here