Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your opinions on Wayne Dalton 8800 glass garage door

Posted by izzomama (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 13:04

Hi everyone,

I live in Southern California. Considering buying a Wayne Dalton glass garage door (8800 series) with a Liftmaster 3/4HPS DC motor screw drive garage door opener (model 3840).
Could you please share your experience/opinions on one or both these products?

Also, I have been told by one company that it's better to use a chain drive opener with double rails vs. other drives (belt or screw) with a single rail because glass garage doors are so heavy. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your opinions on Wayne Dalton 8800 glass garage door

Using the appropriate GDO (garage door opener) mechanism is common sense.
Glass is heavy - if one has the wealth and wishes to flaunt it.....so be it.

o

A properly installed and maintained garage door is counterbalanced by the door springs. It can easily be opened and closed by hand. Any opener on the market can do the job. If it were me I would go with the belt drive but if it were me there wouldn't be a Wayne Dalton anything in my house.

o

@don_1_2006: bad experience with Wayne Dalton? Please share. I've read mixed reviews about Wayne Dalton doors, but they were mostly back from 2006-2007... was wondering if things have improved since then.

o

I haven't had problems with Wayne Dalton but have had too many people that have. I've never read or heard anything positive about them.

o

If you are not a fan of Wayne I have a bp door in my home and love the look and design.

Here is a link that might be useful: bp Glass Garage Doors

o

I priced BP versus Clopay Avante and it was somewhat higher - any idea what the tradeoffs are in quality?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here