Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lookintomyeyes83

Designing my Garage - suggestions?

lookintomyeyes83
9 years ago

Hi All,

My husband and I are designing our forever home and are hoping to design it to be wheelchair accessible.

We are very happy with the house plan layout, and even how the garage connects to the house, but I'm stumbling over the aesthetics vs function of the garage.

Desires:
- split garage: 1.5 garage fully insulated (possibly ICF, but likely 2x6 insulated), with a connecting 2 car garage.
- 1.5 car garage to have cabinetry to function as a workshop, with a wheelchair ramp to provide access to house. Wheelchair accessible vehicles require a 8'2" min clearance height. (Thus a 9ft garage door?)
- 2 car garage likely uninsulated for the near future.
- Hubby would like one of the garage stalls to be a pull-through, for moving the tractor and other equipment between the front and back yards. Our yard is 2 acres, so we don't necessarily need this, but he'd rather not destroy the grass moving equipment back and forth.
- French country styled home. May contemplate putting dormers on the garage to 'pretty it up', though we'll see.
- would like to have access to the attic above garage of 1.5bay from hubby's office on 2nd floor, but with a 9'6" ft ceiling on main floor I'm not sure if this is doable without a step to/from the attic space.
- Garage is 26ft deep. Suggest garage door sizes + heights?

So for Aesthetics vs Function:
- I'm leaning towards making the 1.5 bay the garage + workspace, and putting the pull-thru stall on the end of the garage. Personally I'd like to park closer to the house, and the lawn tractor, snowblower can have the farthest stall.
- Garage door heights. Given i need 1 taller door (9ft?) for the wheelchair accessible space, should i make the last stall also 9ft, for symmetry, and because it would also be useful if its a pull-thru?

Comment (1)