Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding parking space to driveway

Posted by the_veg (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 11:40

I've got an odd one here. I'm looking to add a solid-surfaced parking space alongside a concrete driveway, with one end adjoining the street. The space isn't level, rather it gently rolls into a downslope away from the street, although not terribly steep (the existing driveway is poured concrete, if that's any help).

Obviously, I can just hire a driveway contractor to come out and pour something but budget is an object here, as is the fact that I'm a renter (and I do have the landlord's permission to do this), which means that I won't be here forever.

I'd like to avoid gravel due to the slope and the fact that I'll be parking a rare sports car on the proposed space.

So basically, what does anybody recommend for a solid, dependable, affordable do-it-yourself parking pad?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding parking space to driveway

Lets see.... you are a renter with a rare sports car and its NOT being kept in a conditioned space.....not so good...
A corundum.
Scrounge up 5 to 10 strong skids and place the car on these.
Can you talk the owner into making definite improvements ?
If not, and you cannot find a better place, sell the car.
Here in PA , with about $120K can buy you a half-decent place with a true garage..Last year I found one with a semi-heated garage in the basement...but it was too quickly sold....
Duh....good places go fast!

o

The living space is a temporary situation...will buy a place with a garage eventually. Also, I'm in the southeast so snow and such is not a problem. The car will be under a good outdoor cover if I go this route. The car BTW is a bit rare, but not worth a king's ransom...actually has market value in the range of a Civic owing to the fact that it's old and British (LOL).

o

Well, if you have the permission of the owner, and you are just renting, and this car probably does not weigh much, I'd
think about getting some paving stones and laying them on a bed of sand and gravel. Just two strips like a railroad.
Or, if you are really going to be there a short time, the ramp idea is pretty good.

In the southeast, with grass growing so quickly, you might like to keep the plants out of your engine area....I say this because of my experience with ants getting inside my wiring harness and eating the wires. They love an electrical charge, so disconnect the battery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here