Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door Openers-Chain or Belt Drive

Posted by g-mann (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 19, 09 at 10:30

Need to replace my old garage door opener. The nylon gears inside the old unit are about ready to completely strip anytime now. Teeth are getting very thin and small. Anyway, I was looking at new ones at Menards today. I narrowed it down to two different units. The Chamberlain whisper drive with a belt. Or the chain drive. The belt drivin one has a ten year warranty on the belt, and liftime on the motor. With people reading this with more experience than I, what would you guy's recommend between the two? One lesson learned: keep those nylon gears greased!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door Openers-Chain or Belt Drive

I have a Chamberlin belt drive that I got at Lowes last year on Black Friday. Less than $200.

I love it. Really really quiet.

o

Chamberlain is the #1 manufacturer and their belt drive is their #1 product. Doesn't get any better than that.

But while we are at it you really need to check your door hardware and springs. The killer of that gear is lifting an unbalanced door and it will do the same to your new opener.

You can replace that gear. The part number if 41A2817 (available at any door opener company) and it comes with full instructions.

o

A good point for others to follow. And yes I did in fact oiled the hinges, rollers, and torsion spings. Also the instructions that came with the new door mentioned about testing the balance of the door by opening it as I recall around 26" off the ground and it should stay, as mine did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here