Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Heating a garage workshop

Posted by charlieny (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 10:12

I would like to install an old pot belly wood/coal stove to provide heat in my garage during the winter months. Myhobby is working on old cars. The question is this: Can I safely store my cars in the garage with the gas tanks topped off and fuel stabilizer added, while I have a fire going in the stove to heat the garage? If this is possible, what precautions should I be taking? Thanks, Charlie


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Heating a garage workshop

Many people have heated garages so I don't see gasoline in the tanks as an issue. If you're draining the tank or cleaning with flammable solvents, then you might not want to have the stove fired up.


 o
RE: Heating a garage workshop

Don't think It's safe. SIL was cleaning spot off of DH pants with gasoline & rubbing the pants, she had done it many times before but apparently moved a little too close toward gas hot water heater & pilot light caused a large fire. She made it out but whole house filled with smoke & water damage upstairs & everything upstairs had to be cleaned & I could still smell the smoke several months later when we visited them. Basement had to have lot of work to restore it & smelled awful. She wasn't that close to the hot water heater either, fire dept said it was the fumes that ignited & you can't even see those. Reminds me of the house on other side of block from us. Had earthquake in 1973 & we were trying to see how bad things were & looking out the LR patio doors when a loud boom & flash of light & smoke started, it was morning & we could see stuff flying all over the place. Seems a tiny little house about 600 sq ft was blown to bits. Man renting it was drunk & didn't realize it was an earthquake & grabbed his cigarette lighter to light up & his hot water heater & gas stove pilots had gone out from the quake, & enough fumes in house to blow it up. Where did they find the guy? Laying on the bed!!! It was only thing left of the house.Fire dept.(about 8 blocks way) heard the boom & came as phones were out. He was too drunk to even know what happened.They took him to jail for his own safety. Hope when he sobered up he changed his ways. So fumes from a couple of small pilot lights & lighter is all it took. At the time I think the land was bare on both sides. I think 63 died that day so it sure wasn't his day to die. Get a electric heater! Should never use cleaning fluids inside enclosed garage either. Do you have a family?? Be safe!


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here