Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there any floor coating meant to fill expansion joints?

Posted by yadax3 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 07 at 9:36

I HATE concrete expansion joints! I understand their purpose but everything settles into them - especially dirt and dog hair, and makes cleaning much more difficult. I wanted to have DuraStone installed on my patio because I thought it would fill the joints but then I noticed in a photo it doesn't. We also need to cover the floors in our workshop/garage and really want a smooth surface without expansion joints for the sawdust to settle into. Are tiles our only option?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there any floor coating meant to fill expansion joints?

if you go tile, you need a good sub surface that will account for the expansion/contraction. other wise the tile will just crack. the shows always use some orange stuff they roll out then put the tile on it.

you can use concrete patch to fill the joints, but don't think for a minute that it will never crack. usually after the first year it has let go.

o

That orange stuff is Schluter's Ditra - we used it in our bathroom.

I've seen stained concrete floors in stores where they've filled the expansion joints with something before they applied the stain. It almost looks like a grout joint. Any idea what I could use to do that?

o

maybe a concrete caulk would work, at least it would be forgiving to some extents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here