Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no room to adjust sagging gar door opener chain

Posted by gene501 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 7:25

Hi, the chain on my 1/2 hp sears opener is drooping too low. The nut to adjust the chain is all the way over on the bolt. Does the chain stretch over time? What else should i look at? thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no room to adjust sagging gar door opener chain

Chains do not stretch. Take a good look at the sprocket above the motor unit. It has a bronze bearing that wears and lets the shaft lean toward the door. This will cause the chain to sag and when it gets bad enough it will throw the chain off the sprocket. If you find that is your problem the part number is 41C4220A and it comes with instructions.

o

"Chains do not stretch."

Must be fantasy chain. While it may not be actual stretching of the metal, they do wear and become longer as they wear.

They all get some slack after install and initial tensioning.

o

Brickeye chains wear they do not stretch. If you are going to answer a question be honest. Try to stick with subjects you know a little about. Try googling chain stretching.

o

As the chain wears their is more clearance on every single roller ans plate and they become longer.

You can call it whatever you want, but I guess all those spring loaded chain tensioners on industrial equipment are a waste of time.

Damn, hope no one wants a refund.

Like I said "they do wear and become longer as they wear."

And any number of places will give you the exact same information.

Maybe you should learn how to read.

o

The question was "do springs stretch?" The answer I gave was "Springs do not stretch." Your answer is "they wear and become longer." Read what you want your answer does not address the question and you cannot admit it. They do not stretch they wear professor. End of this simpleton discussion.

o

""they wear and become longer." Read what you want your answer does not address the question and you cannot admit it."

It exactly answers the question, while not containing the idea that they actually "stretch."

I did not address running out of adjustment since I am not familiar with that exact units construction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here