Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Piano Hinged Door to Barn-Won't Open Enough

Posted by springvillegardens (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 10, 06 at 4:01

Ok - I tackled stabilizing my barn - I know nothing about woodworking or carpentry. The barn was leaning two feet out of square in two different directions. Everyone laughed (mostly my dad while visiting - saying I should have been born a boy) when I measured the posts we were replacing by saying 116 inches and a quarter inch and a little bit more - but when I hammered the posts in place they fit nice and snug
- anyway I modeled a door after a packaged shed door on my property that has a piano hinged door - everything turned out fine - except .... the door on the barn won't open all the way like it does on the shed - what did I do wrong ? - Did I install the piano hinge backwards or make it fit too tight thus making the door unable to swing all the way open but only out to 45 degrees?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Piano Hinged Door to Barn-Won't Open Enough

Without seeing the hinge it sure sounds like you installed it backwards. Piano hinges will fold upon themselves in one direction but will only go part way the other.

o
RE: Piano Hinged Door to Barn-Won't Open Enough

Thanks - I re-looked at the hinge and I installed one side on the front of the post instead of the side - which prevented it from opening all the way. I will have to take off one side of the hinge and put in the correct location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here