Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman garage door just hums, does nothing

Posted by handygal (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 07 at 3:09

Greetings.

I am fairly new in this domain, so please bear with my "newbie" explanation of the problem.

We have a craftsman garage door that just stopped working one fine morning. The motor would just hum, and not do anything. At this point the door was open, and wasnt shutting.

Upon investigation, I realised that one of the wheels had come off the track.

I put this back into the track and manually closed the door (while trying to figure this out)

Now, I've checked the pulley, the trolley, the wheels, the chain slack - all "seems" fine, however, I noticed that the carriage is stuck and doesnt move with the "opener door arm".

Any ideas on how to fix this?

thanks so much in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman garage door just hums, does nothing

You say the carriage is stuck. I hope you mean the bottom half of the trolley. If it is stuck against a bolt in the up position remove the bolt and you should be able to shut the door. Before you do anything else look at the side of the motor unit and you will find a hole with a control inside labeled 'up limit'. Using a small screwdriver turn this 3 or 4 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Replace the bolt.

o
RE: Craftsman garage door just hums, does nothing

Thanks for your response. I'm going to try your suggestions and will post back a response with the results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here