Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears/Craftsman garage door opener

Posted by maggie222 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 23:42

I just bought an older house and there is a Sears/Craftsman garage door opener in the garage. There is no remote and no control panel anywhere in the garage. All I can tell is the unit receives power cuz the light bulb will go on.

It is a 1/3 hp unit, model 139.18570SR and the digital receiver is 41A3516-2. Any ideas how I can find out if it works?? or where I can get a remote? I tried taking off the cover to see if there was a code set inside, but could not find anything. Last house/garage had a stanley opener and I know I could see the code settings in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Maggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears/Craftsman garage door opener

You can go to the rear of the unit and momentarily short between terminals 1 and 2 to see if the motor works. If this works you can run bell wire to a door bell button to manually operate the door. Remotes cost around $35.00 but you could be throwing your money away as we have no way to tell if the radio portion works. I would really opt for a new opener.

o

I have a 1/2 HP Craftsman garage door opener that has worked fine for several years. A few days ago, the door stopped operating. The remotes and wall unit will turn on the overhead light (which stays constantly lit), but there is no sound or attempt for the door to raise. I tried resetting the codes and get the same result: the light will turn on, but the door will not lift. The vacation feature is not turned on, and there is no flashing overhead light indicating an obstruction. There was an electrical storm in the area on the day that the opener stopped functioning.

o

Sounds like the storm got your logic board. If your unit is approaching 10 years I would replace it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here