Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2 hp GDO not working at all

Posted by boblem (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 07 at 23:06

Hi
I have a 5 to 6 year old 1/2 hp Craftsman unit which is not working at all. The door closed fine, and then the next time I tried opening it, nothing happened.
When I push either the wall button or the wireless remotes, I hear two clicks from the unit, but nothing even tries to operate. Power is active and I tried unplugging, waiting and plugging in again. The light bulb (60 watt bulb - I tested it and it's good) does not come on - even when I walk through the sensors. Sensors are not blocked or bent. I unhooked the door from the trolley, and the door lifts evenly and smoothly - no obstructions. But now I can't reconnect the door to the trolley on the track. It seems that when it closed, the trolley traveled about 1 inch beyond where the door wants to reconnect to it. Is the motor jammed in the down position? I'm not familiar with these things and would appreciate any advice. Many thanks.
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 hp GDO not working at all

Sounds like the motor is jammed. You are going to have to remove the chain so the motor can reverse and then reinstall.

o

Hi
Thanks for the tip. Sorry for the delay - the unit is at a 2nd home and I'm not there all the time. I removed the chain and have the same problem. The motor doesn't work at all - I still get two "clicks" when I try to operate the GDO. The LED on the back of the unit flashes 5 times, pauses, then flashes 5 times. I understand this may mean the motor is bad? Should I just bite the bullet and replace the GDO? Thanks for your help.

o

A new unit is in order. The last time I checked a replacement motor was $98.00.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here