Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears Craftsman GDO opens 3' and stops

Posted by alecramsay (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 21, 06 at 20:50

Hi. I've had a 1/2 HP model 139.53629SRT for 11 years. It has always worked fine. By hand it will open now too. But this morning it stopped working automatically. It will raise about 3" and stop. Pressing the button causes it to close again. I can't see it bound on anything, and as I say, it opens manually.

I don't have a manual to trouble shoot this. Does anyone have a link to a manual online? Barring that, does anyone have troubleshooting suggestion?

Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears Craftsman GDO opens 3' and stops

On the rear of the motor unit near where all those white wires go you will find a control labeled 'up force'. Increase this about 1/4 turn and try. This symptom is sometimes the first indication of a drive gear going bad. You can pull the cover and look for "white saw dust" and you can also see the white nylon gear just in front of the motor. If it looks worn it is probably starting to fail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here