Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting wood garage door questions

Posted by summerblue (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 19:37

I have an old wood garage door that is in good shape. It hasn't been painted in a long time though. I think I want to paint it white. What type paint is used, an oil based paint or latex? Also, would you use a flat or semi-gloss? I think flat would show the dirt more but would the semi-gloss be too shiny? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting wood garage door questions

Make sure you paint both sides to limit warping.

o

The door is a very heavy thick wood door, original to the house. I really didn't plan on painting the inside. Why would the door warp? Do you have any idea what paint to use as I posted earlier? Thanks!

o

Warping is caused by changes in the moisture content of wood, and any differences in the distribution of the moisture in the wood will only exaggerate warping.

The link below details how wood moves with moisture content changes and variation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Handbook, Chapter 3

o

Thank you for the link but I am unable to open it. I will be painting the inside also , so again, thanks for your advice.

o

Summer, I would recommend cross-posting this to the Paint forum. You'll get some good responses there on how to prep and paint it.

o

"Thank you for the link but I am unable to open it."

It is a standard PDF file.

You likely do not have Acrobat or another PDF reader.

o

Thanks for getting back to me. The door has been painted this pass weekend, inside and out. I was going to do it myself but hired someone instead. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here