Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyflies

adding a garage - size questions

sunnyflies
14 years ago

My architect has sent me plans for a 24' wide by 22' deep garage for two cars. Does this sound right? What size doors should I get. Should they be higher than 8' so I can fit a large vehicle? I think it would mostly be used for cars, but we do have trucks also.

Comments (7)

• creek_side
    14 years ago

22' is not deep enough, in my opinion. We have a 24' x 24' with 18" shelving on the back wall, and I can just barely fit my full size LWB truck in there. Our new house will have a 26' deep garage.

An eight foot high door should accomodate anything except a step van or a radically lifted pickup. A standard door is seven foot high.

• bas157
    14 years ago

I agree with creek side, 22' isn't deep enough. Mine is 20' deep and I can't fit my F250 in it. For me, I'd like 30' deep, which would give me plenty of room to get my truck in and still walk between it and the door, and also allow room for 2' deep shelves or workbench along the back wall and still have some room between the truck and shelves/workbench.

• fish7577
    14 years ago

My prior garage was 28' deep, and it allowed plenty of room for storage in front of the cars. However, it was detached. That kind of dimension doesn't work as well with an integral garage. We're building a new home now and it will be about 23' deep interior dimension (25'wide). It's a side entry garage. I think it will be plenty for normal use. Make sure you figure the interior dimensions.

• Brent B
    14 years ago

I also agree, that 22' is not deep enough.

At least 28' should be good, and I would go wider than the 25'.

We have a 24' dep in one part, and we couldn't get our rear hatch door on the Odyessy up, we had to open the double garage door to load the van.

The normal garage doors are 7' high and 9' wide; so that is 18' for your doors in width, so you will have max of 7' of room between the walls and the 2 vehicles. Not enough, imo, you'll bang vehicle doors on the neighbouring vehicle, and transporting groceries and other items between the vehicles would be a pita.

• sunnyflies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I have just asked for the garage to be made deeper so it will be 26' wide by 24' deep. Will that be enough for me to open doors on two mid-sized cars without banging them? And, enough to be able to have storage in front of them?

• sunnyflies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I have just asked for the garage to be made deeper so it will be 26' wide by 24' deep. Will that be enough for me to open doors on two mid-sized cars without banging them? And, enough to be able to have storage in front of them?

• creek_side
    14 years ago

That size is doable, if only one car will have its doors open. You should be able to put 12" TO 18" deep shelving on or against the wall and still have room to move.

I am used to sizing garages using the outside framing dimensions, so if your dimensions are for the interior of the garage. you will have a little more clearance here and there.