Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fix or replace garage door?

Posted by stinky-gardener (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 18:51

I have a couple of small dents & cracks in my steel garage door. The house is 22 yrs. old. I've lived in it for 3.5 yrs. How do you know when to replace a garage door? Can the cracks be filled in with something? Actually, I think there is only one crack, about 2.5-3 inches long.

Also, if I keep the door, I would like to paint it a different color. What paint should I use, formula-wise? I'm a Benjamin Moore fan & already know I want to use the color called "Wind's Breath." Anything special I should know about garage door painting?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fix or replace garage door?

When do you replace a garage door? When you're tired of fixing the old one or tired of how it looks. :-)

Might want to try Bondo for the repair. As for painting, visit your local paint store (not home center) for specific product recommendations. Make sure it's clean and you may want to give it a light sanding first.

o

You may want to post your painting questions on the 'Paint' forum.

o

Thanks, Mike! Yeah, that makes sense. I think I would prefer a different look, in addition to addressing the flaws on my existing door. Any recommendations regarding a reputable brand/door company? Have noticed on this forum there is a lot of dissatisfaction w/Sears/Craftsman doors/openers,which I currently don't have, but who is considered the best if Sears is thought of as the worst? Also, can I just replace the door & keep my existing opener? How can I tell if the opener is about to go & I should replace that? I'm sure any company will try to sell me the whole enchilada.

Yadax, thanks. Will check out "Paint."

o

I think my first question would be why is it cracking, and where is it cracking. Top Section, center?

Steel garage doors can be painted, after a good cleaning, with a GOOD quality latex paint.

If your opener is working well.. then yes you can replace just the door and keep the existing op. Might be a little difficult to diagnose whether an op is "about to go". For me, it would depend on how it has been running, the name brand and the age of the opener.

The co. I work for sells a few different brands of openers(including our own brand) and I service all of them plus one's we don't sell. I get the fewest service calls on Liftmaster Ops. NO, I do not work for Liftmaster, but I do have one in my garage :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here