Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl or Steel Garage Door?

Posted by michaelli (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 18:26

For my new house, my builder's standard garage door is a Clopay Steel 4300. I am wondering the benefits of this versus vinyl. The door will be on the right side with garage in foundation so looks to the street are not important. My old house here has vinyl doors which were great when the kids were growing up and bouncing things off of them with no dents occurring. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl or Steel Garage Door?

While I am not extremely familiar with vinyl doors, I have heard that the only benefit over steel doors is that they are dent resistant. I would be interested to see what type of hardware comes on the vinyl door and if they offer a torsion spring (above the door) system or only extension springs (run parallel along the tracks). If at all possible stick with a torsion spring system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here