Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Types of garage doors?

Posted by duster_to (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 2, 06 at 16:48

I have a 60-year old house in an old neighbourhood where most of the garages are of the old wood carriage-house style. I am converting the garage into a workshop, which I would use in the winter, so I need to replace the door with an insulated garage door.

I have looked around and am having a hard time finding what I want. It seems that most doors today are of the steel type, with insulation inside, and although they are very efficient, I don't think one would look good on my house. The modern steel door would clash with the rest of the house. At the same time, wood doors seem to only be available in non-insulated models. Can someone please tell me if there are garage doors that are aesthetically pleasing and actually look like wood (or are actually made of wood) while still having some insulation and a decent R-factor? It would be incredibly helpful if you could also point me towards a contractor in the Toronto, Canada area that can help me out with this. Thanks in advance.

--- D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Types of garage doors?

Royal Overhead Doors, 126A Peelar Road, Concord 416-743-4527 supplied and installed these 8'x8' insulated doors in 2005 for C$2,000 each, including belt-drive lifts, GST included. The design is custom. I sketched it out and they cut it. A chain drive lift would be cheaper as might be a standard design.

daylight

Night flash

o
RE: Types of garage doors? followup

Royal's steel insulated doors provide from R5.6-R-11 insulation value for about 40% less than wood doors. Window-less models will save you another $150+ (And give you better insulation value as the "windows" are simply a single piece of plexi.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here