Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is 'Driveway Heat' bad for concrete?

Posted by supermommy (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 16:30

I wasn't sure where to post this, so it's going in the "garage" forum. We just moved into a north-facing house and got out first snowfall, which of course turned to ice on our driveway.

Is that Driveway Heat stuff safe for concrete or will it eventually eat away at it? My husband (construction manager) said they had to use it on some interior concrete in a shopping center because some water froze inside (and of course the HVAC was not in yet) and said it pitted the concrete BUT it was newly-poured concrete and that may have been why.

So....anyone ever have problems with it?

Thanks in advance.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is 'Driveway Heat' bad for concrete?

Usually ice melt products say right on the label if they are safe to use on concrete or not.

o

Sodium chloride (salt, halite, rock salt) are hard on concrete and plants.
Calcium chloride is not nearly as bad and works to a much lower temp than regular salt. It also costs more.

Sodium chloride pulls heat from the air to effect melting.
It is used to make ice cream.
If you pour calcium chloride into a small amount of water it will actually heat up the water as it dissolves.

o

Having to shovel is bad for me. Is there a way to retrofit my driveway with a heating system?

o

joeoclark--yes, dig it up and install heating piping or wires under it.

brickeye--that's not the mechanism. All road salts work the same way--they mix with the ice to lower the freezing point of the water/salt mix below 32 degrees so ice is liquid at, say, 25 degrees. The different salt formulations create a mix with a lower freezing point, the more expensive the lower hte freezing point.

o

The American Concrete Institute says that salt shouldn't hurt concrete assuming it's the right kind of mix and has been poured properly.

I saw numbers the other day for heated driveways and the cost began at $10-$15 per square foot. I don't know if that includes the concrete work or not. In your case you'd have the added expense of ripping up the old driveway.

Both calcium chloride and sodium chloride (ordinary salt) lower the melting point of water and don't pull energy from anywhere. In the case of calcium chloride the dissolution does generate heat, which gives it an advantage over sodium chloride when used as a deicer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here