Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opener with Battery Back-up for Small Garage

Posted by juliet3 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 13:21

I would like to buy a belt-drive garage door opener with battery back-up in case of outages. My current opener needs to be mechanically operated during an outage, and it has been a PITA. However, my garage is a small 1-car size, and I really don't need more than 1/2 hp. Am I correct that in order to get the battery back-up style, I need to buy (and pay up for) a 3/4 hp opener? Those styles also come with bells and whistles I don't need (or want to pay for) like motion detector light, 200W light (100W is enough), and fancy control panel. So does anyone know of a garage opener with battery backup that doesn't have all the extra features? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opener with Battery Back-up for Small Garage

The opener with a battery backup is the top of the line model regardless of brand name and all those bells and whistles come with it. You must have a lot of power outages to consider this for a one car garage. You will more than likely be replacing the battery every 4 or 5 years and that is with good luck and battery prices have gone through the ceiling.

o

OK, what you said makes sense. So it sounds like I should just look for a good quality 1/2 hp belt-driven opener, and not worry about the battery back-up.

o

That is what I would do. If noise isn't a problem I would even go with the chain drive. It should lift a one car garage door for a long time with no problems.

o

Noise is a concern, so I am narrowing my choices down to belt-driven only. It looks like the Liftmaster 3280 1/2 hp gets good reviews. I understand I could buy the Chamberlain similar model as a DIY installation. However, I am going to hire someone to install. Does anyone know what it would cost, ballpark, for the installation of the 3280 including the cost of the opener itself? All the electrical connections are there, so I won't need electrical work.

o

Following up my previous posts, I just got a quote from a reputable installer for $425 to provide and install the Liftmaster 3280. They specified that the price includes a 1-piece operator rail for a 7' high door, new safety sensors, wall control, 2nd remote and a keypad. Does this price sound average?

o

I think that is very high. I just looked and Sears sells the Chamberlain 1/2 horse belt drive with the same accessories for $199.00. That doesn't include installation. Chamberlain is the company that makes Liftmaster. At that price they are charging $250.00 for installation. Too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here